• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Workbench

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
This evenings progress started with the cutting of the tenons on the long front & back rails, the shoulder cuts being made with the trenching feature on the sliding compound mitre saw

IMG_1514_zpsd8ce79cf.jpg

The top & bottom cuts were made by hand as the rail was too high for the SCMS

IMG_1512_zpsa0d70385.jpg

The cheeks were cut at the bandsaw

IMG_1513_zps0c298eca.jpg

& then cleaned up by hand with a shoulder plane

IMG_1516_zpsc6991113.jpg

The mortises were cut in the legs with a domino & then squared up with a hand chisel

IMG_1517_zps912210f7.jpg

Fitting in progress

IMG_1519_zps2093ff0f.jpg

Last for tonight a dry fit of the 4 legs & 2 rails

IMG_1522_zps150137e8.jpg

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Just a brass headed hammer Peter, it was hand made I believe the shaft is Bubinga & I use it for fine adjustments on plane blades with Norris adjusters

Bigbud

First Name
James
I'm currently Building a bench for general woodworking with a laminated top of 2x4's based on the Paul Sellers bench but I also need one for my Lathe, might go down this route for that one :) Looks great :)

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
And the Douglas Hammer early in the series Doug never seen before?

Peter.

I know nothing about the company Peter though a quick Google bought up this G.A.F. Sales, Distributor for Douglas™ Hammers in Canada — G.A.F. Sales, Distributor for Douglas™ Hammers in Canada

I bought it second hand just because it had my name on it & it was cheap for a decent quality hammer to have in the shop, I prefer the feel of my Estwing but that stops in the van for site work. If I'm honest the Douglas hammer doesn't get a lot of use but as with all tools it is indispensable when needed.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I'm currently Building a bench for general woodworking with a laminated top of 2x4's based on the Paul Sellers bench but I also need one for my Lathe, might go down this route for that one :) Looks great :)

Thanks James, my own bench is made from laminated Beech, I've been happy with it but you do tend to get movement & they need truing up occasionally.
I'm hoping that making the top from plywood it will remain flat for many years. :praying:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Got quite a bit done on the bench yesterday though I didn't take many photos as I had a lot on.
I managed to get the side rails cut & jointed, I eased all the corners routing a 45degree chamfer on them, cut grooves for the back & side panels to fit in & started the glue up.

This is a photo mid point of yesterday's work a temporary dry fit to aid marking out & check the fit.

IMG_0746_zps733c0da9.jpg

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Quick update before being dragged kicking & screaming to the pub :whistling: Managed to get the base glued up today.

A5116F48-2970-4B9A-975B-CCD43D623F02_zps12551640.jpg

Used some pine veneered MDF I had in the rack for the end panels, the back panel is plywood. Hopefully if I can get back in the workshop early enough tomorrow afternoon I can make a start on the top.

Jim

Grand Master
Your certainly motoring with this Doug, its coming together nicely .. :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Interesting your info on the Douglas Hammer confirming why I had not seen one like it before understand when you get used to Estwing its another ball game but I did see advantages for it has a curved shape that could save knuckles on the bench.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).