• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Workbench

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Oh bugger ! Now he tells me. We were within striking distance of that last year but didn't know it existed.:sob:
Get your passport sorted Doug 'cos Oz is a great place to visit and if you go to Bungendore you could drop in on Peter and relieve him of some of his wood stash,
he'll never miss it :wink:

Your loss my gain

Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Seriously it would be great to see some members when they are abroad. So near yet so far Sydney is only 2 1/2 hrs from here.

Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
You got close last holidays mate a thought when I catch up on blanks when the son in law calls here next time I can give him a parcel for you maybe you are in his selling zone.

Peter.

Treeesa

Graduate Member
First Name
Andy
Really enjoyed watching this Doug - beautiful craftsmanship and attention to detail and has been said before your mate will be thinking how to use it without marking to begin with.

Just a thought - instead of him damaging it and ruining it - why not show some pics of you cutting it up and turning into pens :funny::funny::devil:

You never tire of watching a craftsman and you are nailing it (screwing) it! with this one - Many thanks for the inspiration

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Managed to get the vice fitted this afternoon & then tried the top on the base for the first time, fortunately it was a nice snug fit :banana:

So just vice jaws to make this week along with some doors, but before I can do that I need a big tidy up in the workshop.

D8412611-6F20-48BC-B21D-3956B53CAE7F_zpsf33061ac.jpg

Jim

Grand Master
That is something special Doug, i bet the guy receiving this didn't realise what he was getting when he asked for a bench .. :drool:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Even a Judge would be proud to own this bench. Ther book Pilgrims Progress when I was a kid was spell binding with its adventure I have found your bench inspiring now Doug.

Peter.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Got a little time this morning to work on the vice jaws, after planing a piece of Oak to size I marked out & roughed out the front jaw with a router.

image.jpg1_zpsg1yhzvnw.jpg

It was then cleaned up & fitted to the vice

image.jpg2_zpsuq1nke3f.jpg

The back jaw had been glued in the night before so with the front jaw fitted I could fettle them till I got a clean parallel fit.
Nice to have a bench to work on :bwink:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
i thought you would have finished this by now you would think that you had time to fit a kitchen worktop as well:funny::funny::funny::funny:

Great job Doug a bench to be proud of seeing you vice fit I must take mine out and replace with Oak jaws

Jim

Grand Master
I would be afraid of using the bench Doug, i would use it as an ornament .. :pray:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Beautiful all round you have a steady hand with the router mate Oak is not easy to work, sensational bench of the year mate.

Peter.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I have always said you are a true craftsman Doug and with that bench you sure have proved me right beautifully crafted bench that my friend bloody well done makes me wish I had my old Oak one back

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).