• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Workbench

Skil Phil

A great bit of work.
Nicely executed.
As others have said would hate to mark the surface of that bench.
Mine on the other hand is 40 odd years old and marked but I still consciously avoid drilling into the top or leaving saw marks.
Look after yours it is a work of note.
Phil

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Thanks for the comments :thumbs:

The bench is built to be used though not by me I'm making it for a mate, I know when I built my own I was a little precious when first using it but after the first couple of dings it just became another tool to be used.
The top is nearly finished, I'm in between glue ups at the moment, I'll post up photos of progress later.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I managed to get some time first thing to glue & dowel the aprons together

69F2BC5F-0DB2-4113-94F3-17DCDAC070D6_zps99a39456.jpg

After which I glued the ply into the assembled frame, look away Steve gratuitous clamp photo ahead :whistling:

F3D93A83-6166-4A39-88D3-3CCA757E02BC_zpsde2611fc.jpg

Once dry I pocket screwed braces to the underside & glued a block on to carry the vice

8FAF18EF-1F87-4F73-9E00-FC690B0C705E_zpsb0b070ab.jpg

After which I cleaned up & sanded the whole top

2DAB4092-C5DF-4C2B-9976-513E4748D067_zpsb9659430.jpg

Jim

Grand Master
You never cease to amaze Doug .. :winking: Do you have Audrey there giving you a hand with the lifting .. :thinks:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
That bench is really looking fantastic Doug should see many hours of work on it

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
If the user could see the instalments I have been priviliged to see he will be totally impressed Doug I have learned so many names in the proceedure as well there is nothing casual in any part of your work.

Peter.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Will some PLEASE deport Doug to the colonies.:pray::pray:

Don't know about getting deported but the wife informed me she'd like to go to Bungendore to see the village & gallery, I tried to sidestep her suggestion by saying I'd need to get a passport to achieve that but unfortunately this didn't seem to put her off the idea :nooidea:

A link for those who've not heard of the place Bungendore Wood Works Gallery

Lainey

First Name
Elaine
Ive really enjoyed seeing the idea become a reality. What a lovely friend you are !
Lainey

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Flec a triangle bit of wood made into a clock he sells for $480.00 and I cant give them away.....no justice in the world.:sob::sob:

That's where you are going wrong Mark, put a high price on an item & folks immediately think it is quality, try to give it away & they perceive it as poor quality :rolling:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Don't know about getting deported but the wife informed me she'd like to go to Bungendore to see the village & gallery, I tried to sidestep her suggestion by saying I'd need to get a passport to achieve that but unfortunately this didn't seem to put her off the idea :nooidea:

Oh bugger ! Now he tells me. We were within striking distance of that last year but didn't know it existed.:sob:
Get your passport sorted Doug 'cos Oz is a great place to visit and if you go to Bungendore you could drop in on Peter and relieve him of some of his wood stash,
he'll never miss it :wink:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter

The Gallery is just a nice drive away for me always a great visit mate.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).